Sunday, July 16, 2017


Take Off, eh!


6 years after the creation of "The Great White North," Bob & Doug McKenzies' AWESOME brain-child, I went back to the UK to spend a few years experiencing the culture of the country I was born in. The UK at that time, and I'm still quite convinced it is true now, had absolutely NO concept of Canadian culture, NONE! 

As teenagers in school we joked of our American neighbours thinking we Canadians lived in igloos, skied year 'round and could still lay claim to vast tracts of land if we simply "settled" them! But the British were worse! I'd meet someone in the UK and the conversation went something like this...
"Oh, you're from Canada! Where?"
"Toronto" I'd reply.
"Really? Well maybe you know my cousin? He lives in Vancouver!"
"What's his name?" I'd ask.
"Peter."
"Oh, Peter! Yeah, we had coffee at Tim Horton's Just last week, eh!"

So, SCTV and specifically "The Great White North" skits, impacted me as a teenager. Mr. Bazack, our grade ten history teacher would become very frustrated with me and my best friend's banter. I'm talking about you, Paul​! 
"How's it going' eh, Mr. B?"
"Don't take no wooden beer bottles eh!"

The banter though, was important. It showed a true and individual aspect to Canadian culture; something yet to be designated. After all, at that time Canada was struggling to define its true character. Paul and I didn't play hockey or lacrosse, and we certainly didn't sleep in igloos! But the verbiage and dialect came through!

But very few, in Canada and especially in other lands, understood or appreciated the true Canadian character. And when I did my few years in the old country, that became VERY apparent! 

During my stay in Britain in the mid 80's I read only three article in the British media that concerned Canada, only THREE! 
The Queen's visit in '87...
A British parliamentarian fishing illegally on Lake Ontario...
A couple having sex in the Sky Dome and being caught on camera!
The first two items did not even involve Canadians. The third story was sordid! But the British do like their dirty stories! At least that's what the bishop said!

The British are so aware of what goes on in Australia, enthralled by the gossip and philandering of their  illegitimate American cousins, but have little interest, and even less knowledge of Canada! None... And Canada was GIVEN its independence. Canada didn't revolt, rebel, or, "uprise" against a "repressive" regime! And it wasn't populated by criminals!


But now I see articles published in the UK press about Canada... And by the BBC of all institutions! The one source of news that has willingly and pompously ignored Canada for decades! And what do they publish? They publish an article about Bob and Doug McKenzie! Two fictitious characters that were created to artificially boost Canadian content on Canadian TV, and make light of the misconceptions the rest of the world has of Canada, I'm talking about YOU USA and UK,misconceptions you had, and still have, of the "Great White North!"

Ok, the rant is over...

It's the summer. I'm not skiing. The igloo in my backyard melted five months ago. I don't play hockey, never will, sorry Matt​! And Lacrosse, it's just another team sport that I'll never have any interest in! And I haven't worn a plaid jacket in two months! But there is an axe in the back of my truck...

So, and it's a BIG "SO," If you think you know what Canada is all about, here are a few things you can do:

Read a Farley Mowat novel,

Paddle a REAL canoe,


Photograph a jack pine,

Play "The Beer Hunter," Simon​, Mark​, you guys up for it?



And five months from now, sing the Canadian version of "The 12 Days of Christmas."

Canada, It's not all barren waste land, it's not all hockey and beaver pelts, seal hunting and a mishmash of poor American spelling and bad British mispronunciations! 

Its a town in North Ontario
https://youtu.be/9gFCm9TVU9I
It's a Railroad Trilogy...
https://youtu.be/NjoU1Qkeizs,
 It Hasn't Hit me Yet...
https://youtu.be/oMt0skVPC0o.
Or it's where I live...
https://youtu.be/o6QDjDPRF5c

It's decent health care, long and winding roads, the northern lights, mostly good music, friends and neighbours. And GREAT beer and wine!

Just don't take no wooden beer or WINE bottles either!

So, take off, eh, to The Great White North, TAKE off!


It's a beauty place to go!

2 comments:

  1. Very well said and 100% true. Although now when I say I'm Canadian people don't ask about deer skin tents and igloos. Most travelers have been to Canada and say what a beautiful place it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eric my friend, my very GOOD friend! My Canada is quite the awesome place right now! My Canada is NOT Justin's though! But, MY Canada would be a FAR better place if you were living in it! And OUR Canada will last FAR longer than Justin's Canada! You just need to come back!
      Love you man!

      Delete